Saturday, January 21, 2012

There, or Nearly There!

Conventional wisdom says it takes 21 days to break a habit or create a new habit.  For those of you who started (or restarted) on this program on January 1, congratulations!  You have now established a new habit! 

When I started on Take Shape for Life/Medifast's 5&1 program on June 24, 2007, my first focus was just doing this for 21 days in a row.  I had never stayed on ANY weight loss program for 21 days (which explains, in part, how I ended up at my all-time high weight of 268 pounds), so doing this for 21 days was my first challenge.  I honestly didn't know if was even possible for me to do that, but I made the decision to take it one day and one meal at a time.

As each day passed, I checked it off and counted down the days to 21, believing that if I could stay on plan for 21 days, I might just succeed in establishing a new habit.  The closer I got to the 21st day, the more excited I got as I realized that I really WAS doing this!  When I reached Day 21, I had not only lost weight (around 15 pounds), I was feeling great.  I also realized that if I could stay on plan for 21 days, I could stay on plan as long as it took to reach my goal.

Habits don't happen in an instant, and they certainly aren't firmly established after 21 days, but the foundation is there for a lifetime of new, healthier habits - if we choose.  Each day, with every meal, with every choice, we are reinforcing habits - either the old habits that got us where we started, or new, healthier habits that will bring us where we want to go.  Breaking old habits and establishing new habits isn't easy, but if you are 21 days into this program, you're well on your way!  If you are just now getting started, focus on getting through the first three weeks and you'll soon find new habits taking root in your life, too.

One day, one meal, one choice at a time . . . choose wisely :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment