Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Stretching

I constantly refer to this program as a journey because there is so much growing and stretching that happens along the way.  Stretching isn't always fun, and sometimes it's downright painful!  I found that to be very true last August as I underwent physical therapy following my knee replacement surgery.

Stiff muscles are always resistant to stretching, and I knew that if I stopped where it felt comfortable, my range of motion would be limited - far less than what I wanted it to be and what it could be.  My physical therapist pushed me to the point of pain, had me hold the stretch or the bend, then pushed me a bit farther.  What was really interesting, however, was that once I stretched as far as I could and held it for a minute or so, even though it hurt, the muscles relaxed and I was able to go just a bit more.  If I held that stretch for another minute or so, I was then able to stretch farther yet.  It was a painful process, but a necessary one and by continuing to push and stretch beyond what I though I was capable of doing, I now have full use of my knee and can walk long distances without pain and take stairs easily.  The process certainly wasn't fun, but a year later I can say unequivocally that it WAS worth it!

For many of you on Take Shape for Life's 5&1 plan (the weight loss phase of our program), you are stretching some muscles you haven't used in a while.  When I was on 5&1, I used to say that every time I turned down a food temptation, I was strengthening my "no thank you" muscle :-).  Whenever we stretch those muscles, it's initially not comfortable and sometimes even a bit painful.  But if we hold the position for a moment or two, the pain leaves and we find we can make a little more progress.  We won't get there all at once, but if we're persistent and refuse to give ground, and if we're willing to keep stretching, we WILL get there!

If you're feeling some tight muscles today as this program stretches you, hold your position and don't back off, because you will soon be reaching further than you can imagine - all the way to your goal.  So decide to stretch today, then choose wisely :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment