Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Event Dieting



It's the first day of spring! I don't know about you, but I am definitely ready for warmer weather and love seeing the days getting longer.  With spring finally here and summer not far behind, I'm guessing that many are feeling some added pressure right now to get ready for swimsuit season.

So many of us have focused on what I call "event dieting" much of our lives.  We want to lose X amount of pounds before such-and-such an event, and we don't think in terms beyond that.  For me, I was never successful in reaching even that short-term goal, so once the event was over, my focus on losing weight was gone.  When each of my daughters set their wedding dates, I remember wondering how much weight I could lose before the wedding.  I put off buying my dress as long as possible, hoping to be in a smaller size.  I never did lose any weight before the weddings, and the photos of me on those days are of an obese woman in a very lovely dress.  (I've told both my daughters that we need to redo their weddings, because I'd look a LOT better now :-)  They both said they would LOVE to do it over - as long as we picked up the tab!)

Wanting to lose weight before swimsuit season is good  motivation, but I'm encouraging you to look far beyond getting into a swimsuit.  Don't just envision yourself looking great in a swimsuit or a great pair of shorts - envision yourself healthy ten, twenty, thirty years from now.  That's ultimately the goal!  Getting there requires, you guessed it, committing to making healthy choices one day at a time.

The first goal in staying healthy for the rest of your life is getting to a healthy weight, and that's where most of you are focused right now.  And you WILL get there, one on-plan day at a time.   The choice is yours - choose wisely :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment