Friday, August 16, 2013

Doing the Math



When I was in school, math was not particularly my strong suit (though I did get an "A" in algebra :-) ).  Although numbers and formulas hold only limited interest for me, I did come across an equation that resonated with me, so I thought I'd share it with you.  Ready?

Intentions
 - action 
= squat

Ouch!  That's one math equation that doesn't require a calculator to figure out.  Regardless of how lofty or well-intentioned, intentions that aren't followed up with action will ultimately result in nothing.  As much as we'd like it to be different, just wishing won't make it so.  

For years I wished - like crazy - that I'd lose weight.  I had the best of intentions as I started innumerable diets, always hoping that the latest and greatest would finally be "it" and bring me to my goal.  I bemoaned more than once that my weight problem (I avoided EVER saying "obesity") wasn't due to lack of effort on my part to lose weight, and I also wondered aloud how much I'd weigh if I hadn't kept trying to lose weight.  Ironically, I now understand that my years of yo-yo dieting directly contributed to me ending up at 268 pounds, as I'd lose fat AND muscle on those diets, then gain back fat, further lowering my already sluggish metabolism.  My good intentions to lose weight were followed by sporadic action.  I'd start strong and quickly fold, especially once the hassle factor of the diet collided with constant hunger and slow weight loss. 

So what made the difference this time?  I had good intentions when I ordered Take Shape for Life, but this time I actually followed those good intentions with action.  I knew that the expense of the program would only be cost-neutral if I was actually following the program and replacing my other food with Medifast products; I couldn't justify the cost of the program if I was playing around with it and still eating other things.  I committed to staying on plan for four weeks, planning to decide near the end of that period whether or not to order another four weeks.  Because I saw such amazing results right away, and because it was easy and I felt great, I decided to place a second order and committed to staying on plan four more weeks.  I honestly thought the initial month's weight loss was a fluke and didn't expect to see much happen the second month, but I was wrong (thankfully!).  My intentions plus consistent action over almost 11 months brought me - finally - to my goal.

When good intentions are followed by action, the math changes:

Intentions
+ action
= RESULTS!!  - perhaps beyond your wildest dreams :-)

If you're ready for some new math in your life, it begins with going beyond good intentions to action.  It's a choice we can make beginning today - choose wisely :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment