Monday, January 17, 2011

Lots of Choices

Everyday we are faced with choices - lots of choices.  Even some of the things we may think we don't have a choice about, like going to work, are really still choices (you have the choice whether or not you decide to go to work, and your choice may give your boss a choice as well . . . ).  I've often had the attitude that I had to do this or that because I didn't have a choice, but that's not true.  We ALWAYS have a choice.

Our choices not only include what we're going to do and eat on any given day (including today!), but we also get to choose the attitude we'll carry.  That's the hardest part sometimes!  You may think, "I may have to do this, but I don't have to like it," and you're absolutely right.  You DON'T have to like it, but you can still choose your attitude.

This point was brought home to me yesterday in church when the pastor shared a quote from Viktor Frankl, who was a Holocaust survivor.  Frankl told about being arrested by the Nazis and taken to a concentration camp, stating that as he stood naked before the Nazis, stripped of all of his belongings, including his wedding ring, he realized that they couldn't take away his ability to choose his attitude.  He wrote, "The one thing you can't take away from me is the way I choose to respond to what you do to me.  The last of one's freedoms is to choose ones attitude in any given circumstance." 


Wow!  

It seems grossly inappropriate to compare any sacrifice we may have to make on this program to what Frankl and so many others endured, so I think I'll leave it at that for today.

The choices are yours today, both in what you do and the attitude you'll embrace.  Choose wisely :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment