Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Walking Away From Temptation

I don't always have a chance to watch "Biggest Loser," but I did watch most of last night's episode.  One scene really gripped me, because I so completely identified with the struggle.

The team on the Biggest Loser ranch was sent two dozen doughnuts .  It only took a minute or so for everyone to decide to take the boxes outside and stomp on them because they all agreed they weren't going to give in to temptation.  But it didn't end there . . . while the rest of the team headed back inside, one individual stayed to pick up the boxes of smashed doughnuts and carry them to the dumpster.  Alone with the smashed doughnuts , he began to struggle.  Not all of the doughnuts were completely smashed, and he loved doughnuts .  He contemplated having "just one bite."  He stood there for a minute or so, weighing the possibility of eating part of a doughnut - no one would know and he'd really worked out hard in the gym.  Then he continued walking to the dumpster.  As he was ready to throw the boxes away, one of the boxes dropped and a doughnut fell out - his favorite kind, and it was pretty much in one piece, just mashed a bit.  He joked about the 3-second rule as it hit the ground outside of the dumpster, but he then picked it up and threw it - and the rest of the doughnuts - into the trash.  As he walked away, his relief was evident in the smile on his face.

I identified with this struggle because, at my top weight, I remember boxes of doughnuts or muffins being thrown away at my office, and I remember me making sure that no one was looking before I retrieved the box from the trash and ate the contents.  I reasoned that it was wasteful to throw away food, and since it was still in the box I knew the food hadn't been contaminated by other garbage.  There was still incredible shame and guilt as I did this, and more shame and guilt when I ate the contents of the box.  From the outside looking in, it may be hard to understand why anyone would do that, but a food addict in the throes of temptation isn't thinking clearly.

I also identified with the contestant's relief and happiness as he was finally able to stand strong and walk away from the temptation.  When I was on 5&1, there were times when the temptation to eat off-plan foods was almost overwhelming.  When I walked away from the temptation, relief always - always - washed over me.  I never, EVER regretted not giving in.

What helped the contestant walk away last night was remember why he was at the Biggest Loser ranch to begin with, and he also thought about what he wanted.  Once he took a minute to stop and think, then refocus, he was able to throw the doughnuts in the dumpster and walk away.

That's what helped me walk away from temptation after temptation, too.  I remembered why I'd made the decision to go on Take Shape for Life/Medifast and I thought about what I REALLY wanted.  Doing that, plus a lot of prayer, gave me the strength I needed to walk away.  And I would literally walk away!  Once I made the decision to not eat the food, I wanted to get as far away from it as I could, as fast as I could :-).

The only way we can resist the food temptations that surround us, the only way we can successful stay on plan day after day, is by keeping our eyes on what it is that we want.  The temptations will always be there, but if our eyes are looking straight ahead at our goal, we will have the strength we need to choose wisely :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment