Friday, April 29, 2011

Long-Term Vision vs. Short-Term Pain

Last month our local newspaper ran an editorial column about some of the changes our new governor has proposed in his attempt to address the challenges my state (Michigan) faces.  The editorial was entitled, "Long-Term Vision Can Justify Short-Term Pain."  The editorial was fairly balanced (in my opinion!), but I was honestly more intrigued by the title of the editorial than I was by the article itself.

None of us like to be uncomfortable and we go to great lengths to retain a measure of comfort.  As a result, it's very difficult to stretch beyond our comfort zone, even if our comfort zone isn't the best place for us to be. It's rather ironic that we will sometimes choose to stay in a place we don't want to be because it's more comfortable than stretching outside of that zone to make the changes required to be in a different place.

Because we find comfort in what's familiar, it can very difficult to endure the discomfort that change brings (even good change) unless we have a clear vision of the long-term goal.  It's that clear vision that will keep us going and help us to realize that the short-term discomfort will be worth it in the end.

Please know that I did NOT have a clear vision of a long-term goal when I started this program.  First of all, I didn't expect it to work and carefully read the money-back guarantee before I placed my first order because I fully expected that I would be sending everything back.  When I lost 18 pounds my first month, I was encouraged but assumed the loss was a fluke and not sustainable, so I cautiously placed a second order.  I still didn't have a long-term goal in mind and was very much taking it one day at a time.  

However, by the end of the second month on this program and having lost 30 pounds, I began to get a vision of actually reaching my goal.  I began to envision my life at a healthy weight and began to dream of a life that didn't revolve around dieting.  I began to imagine what it would be like to not wake up every morning wishing I was thin, of looking in the mirror and not hating my reflection.  As my long-term vision of life at goal became clear, that vision made the short-term sacrifices not only endurable but actually worth it.

I wanted to reach my goal and each pound I lost brought me one pound closer to where I wanted to be.  I was certainly aware of the fact that there were a lot of things I was choosing to not eat, and it's not that those foods weren't tempting - they were!  And it's not that it was easy to not give in - it wasn't easy and at times it was incredibly difficult.  But I wanted something desperately and I wanted it enough to endure the short-term discomfort required to get there.  Almost three years after reaching goal, I have NO regrets - not one!

What is your long-range vision?  Where do you want to be?  If you are moving towards something you really want, it will be MUCH easier to stay on plan and not be swayed by the temptations that surround you. Sure there may be some temporary discomfort in turning down a favorite food, and there may even be some discomfort involved in eating a bit differently than others around you, but that discomfort won't dissuade you if you're focused on where you're going.

Only you can decide if your long-term vision is truly worth the short-term pain, so I encourage you to dream big!  Once you have your long-term vision in mind, choose wisely :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment