Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Two New "Whys"

One of the things that Dr. Andersen (Medifast's medical director and Take Shape for Life co-founder) talks about a lot is finding our "why."  It's never enough to know what we DON'T want, because that won't sustain us over time.  Our sustainable motivation comes from knowing what we want and why we want it.

I have two more "whys" as of last Wednesday  :-).  Our newest twin granddaughters, Madelyn and Evelyn, were born late last Wednesday night, weighing in at 4 lb. 15 oz. and 4 lb. 13 oz., each 17.5 inches long. They were born 4 weeks early and are doing GREAT - mom and babies came home Friday evening.

Almost six years ago (November of 2006) my daughter gave birth to her first set of twins.  The attached picture shows my husband and I holding them shortly after birth, along with a picture taken of us last Wednesday night holding her newest (and last!) set of twins.  One of the reasons I made the decision to get healthy in June of 2007 was because I wanted to be around for my grandchildren.  Having just turned 60 in July, it is sobering to realize that by the time my new grandbabies turn 20, I will be 80.  That takes my breath away!  More than ever, the choices I make today will determine the quality of life I have at 80.  Do I want to be as active and vibrant at 80 as possible?  My answer is an obvious "yes!"  I know I can only be that vibrant, active 80-year old IF, and it is a big IF, I continue to make healthy choices.

That's not as easy as it sounds, nor is it as easy as I wish it was.  Even more than four years after reaching my goal, consistently doing what I need to do is a challenge.  The operative word here is "consistently."  As I have shared in the past, my "fat girl tastebuds" are still alive and kicking and I find myself often challenged to stay the course with what I know is best.  An occasional "not stellar choice" meal is certainly OK, but sometimes a few of those get strung a bit too close together and the scale and my clothes remind me of that.

Dr. Andersen says, both in person and in his book, "Dr. A's Habits of Health," that eating a cheeseburger today doesn't make any difference today, but over time it makes all the difference between being on an unhealthy path and being optimally healthy.

Looking into the face of my newest grandbabies, I know I want to see these girls grow up and I would like to be their fun, vibrant grandmother out on the dance floor at his wedding.  Another reason for me to choose wisely :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment