Sunday, March 14, 2010

Down the Rabbit Hole

I saw the new "Alice in Wonderland" movie yesterday afternoon and really enjoyed it.  The 3-D was fun and certainly added an enjoyable dimension to the experience, and I loved the strength Alice portrayed.  One of the things that struck me was the way Alice started every day thinking about six impossible things.  In the end, before she emerged from the rabbit hole, the impossible things became reality.

I couldn't help but think that there's a bit of Alice in each of us who are on our own journey towards health.  We walk up every day thinking about and choosing to believe some things that may seem impossible.  Things like: 


  • I'm going to be at a healthy weight
  • I'm going to be in my goal size
  • I'm going to adopt healthy new habits
  • I'm going to stay at my goal weight
  • I'm going to redefine how I relate with food

Sometimes we may feel like we've fallen down a rabbit hole ourselves, as this plan turns a lot of our concepts upside down.  We may have believed that the only way to lose weight was kick the exercise into high gear, then we're told to cut our exercise way back on this program.  We may have been taught to never eat after dinner and now we're told to eat six small meals a day, including an evening snack.  Perhaps we spent years eating organic (eating way too much organic food, obviously, but organic nevertheless) and now we're eating meals with words we can't pronounce.  We may feel that the only thing missing from our experience is the Mad Hatter and a queen running around yelling "Off with their heads!" :-)

Like Alice, we have the ability for the "impossible" things I listed to eventually become reality in our lives.  After a while, we really do emerge from the "trapped in a rabbit hole" feeling and find that we've redefined normal in an entirely new way - and it's very, very good.

Keep focusing on all of those impossible things that you want to create in your life and keep believing that they really will come true.  Of course, it takes more than just believing - we also have to take action.  If we make the right choices today, we'll be one day closer to making those impossible things a reality.  Choose wisely :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment