Sunday, August 23, 2009

Leaving a Legacy

Happy Sunday morning! We're heading to the chapel service at our church camp this morning, about 1-1/2 hrs. from where we live, then we'll catch lunch at a local restaurant in the area before heading home - should be a fun day!

Yesterday I heard a song on my car radio that really made me stop and think. The song asked the question, "What will be your legacy?" One of the lines in the song said, "You have one chance to write your story."

Even though I'm now 57 years old, I don't spend much time thinking about my legacy. Lord willing, I hope to live another 30 or 40 years, so I'm focused on what's going on in my life right now. However, the thought does cross my mind from time to time, especially as I look at my four small grandchildren. What DO I want my legacy to be?

First and foremost, I want to pass on a legacy of faith. My relationship with Jesus Christ is the most important thing in my life and I pray that each of my grandchildren will choose to follow Jesus.

There are many, many other things that I hope will someday be part of my legacy, too - love, family, laughter, integrity - the list goes on and on! One thing that has been added to my list is health. I want to be an example to my family, now and for future generations, of how to live a healthy life. I want them to understand how important it is to take care of their bodies, how to make healthy choices. Diabetes has been a part of my family's medical legacy for a long time, and I don't want that legacy to continue. This program reversed my diabetes and I pray that this disease, which is so closely tied to lifestyle, will disappear from future generations. That would be a wonderful legacy to leave behind!

As the song says, we have one chance to write our story, and we're writing it right now - there is no do-over. The things we do today matter - it all matters, not just for us, but for those we love. One day builds on another, so make today count and make a healthy lifestyle part of your own legacy.

Who's committed to an on-plan day today?

No comments:

Post a Comment