Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Process and More Process

I keep running across quotes and sayings and articles that all talk about "process".  It makes me think that Somebody is trying to tell me something :-).

People who know me well will probably describe me as a tad driven and goal-focused (among other things that they'll say!), and it's often hard for me to slow down and just enjoy the journey.  When my husband and I are on a trip and he's driving, I find myself glancing over at the speedometer and wanting him to speed it up a bit because I just want to GET THERE!  (My husband tends to drive a few miles UNDER the speed limit, just to make sure he doesn't go over, and I'm usually 5-10 miles OVER the speed limit on an expressway, making our trips interesting and subject to a certain amount of good-natured negotiation.)

Anyway, this "let's just get there FAST" person is reading a lot lately about the value of the process.  Sigh . . . 

I've lived long enough to understand that growth doesn't happen in an instant, whether it's physical growth, emotional growth, or spiritual growth.  Often we aren't even able to access our own personal supply of Miracle Grow to speed up the process - the process tends to take as long as it's going to take.

The latest quote that got me thinking - again - came from my Beth Moore Bible study on the book of Esther.  Beth writes "As painful as the process may be, that which shatters our superficiality also shatters the fetters of our fragility and frees us to walk with dignity and might to our destinies."

"The process" is often painful . . . working through all of the emotional issues that led to me reaching my top weight of 268 was difficult and it didn't happen in an instant.  Over time, however, it was incredibly healing to face those old demons and release them, allowing God's healing to wash over all of those wounded emotions.

Dealing with those emotions shattered the surface superficiality that pretended that everything was fine, and it has allowed me to reach out with great compassion and understanding to others who are still mired in emotional eating.  I can't really explain what it's like to look into another person's eyes without shame as I share my own struggles, then see hope begin to spark in their eyes as they begin to believe that they can experience freedom, too - but it's a wonderful thing!

I can't say for certain that I am now walking with "might to my destiny," because my own process continues (and I'm all too aware of how far I still have to go). What's wonderful is that along the way I continue to meet so many fabulous people, making the journey a real joy.

I'm slowly learning to find joy in the process and not just focus on the destination, and taking time to smell the roses is a very good thing!  I have to choose to find joy every day, and some days the joy finding is easier than others.  But I choose to look for it!

You get to make the same choice every day, so choose wisely :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment