Friday, March 25, 2011

Another (and Unexpected) NSV

Since it's been almost 3 years since I reached my goal, I've pretty much settled into being at a healthy weight.  Every now and then I'm still surprised if I catch my reflection in a mirror, but even that is rather rare at this point.  All of the things that were once new and exciting - all of those NSVs (Non-Scale Victories) that once came in bunches as the weight melted off are gone, so it's not too often that I'm surprised.

Yesterday was one of those times when I experienced yet another - and very unexpected NSV.  When I saw my chiropractor last month, he retook x-rays of my spine because it had been four years since he'd done so.  I was really past-due for this, and given the fact that I lost 126 pounds, he said he really needed a new set of x-rays.  Yesterday I had another appointment with him and following my adjustment, we reviewed the x-rays.  He showed me both the x-rays from four years ago and the ones taken last month.  WOW!!!

Four years ago, tipping the scale at 260+ pounds, you couldn't see the lower part of my spine on the x-ray at all, as my fat - internal and external - completely obscured the view.  Four years ago, the front view of the x-ray was a complete blur from the waist down and you couldn't see my pelvis at all.  I could also see the outline of the external fat extending far beyond my skeletal frame.  When I exclaimed that I couldn't see the lower part of my spine or my pelvis, my chiropractor told me that he had to make his best guess as to what was happening on that portion of my spine, which, by the way, is where I have chronic issues.

As I viewed the most recent x-ray, I could have wept as I saw the difference.  My entire spine is now clearly visible, as is my pelvis.  In fact, it was easy to see my entire skeleton in the x-rays, and what a joy to see only a thin layer of fat and skin outlining my bones!

Because my chiropractor can now clearly see what's going on with my spine, he changed his approach to how he adjusts me and hopes that I will see more improvement in the coming months.

That decision almost four years ago to get started on the Take Shape for Life/Medifast program, and the choice I made to stay on plan even when it was hard and I wasn't having any fun at all, continues to bring unexpected rewards - like yesterday!  Only time will tell what wonderful NSVs you'll enjoy as you continue your own journey, but be looking for them because they will be everywhere!   Just take it one day and one choice at a time . . . and choose wisely :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment