Sunday, March 13, 2011

Another Reason for Wise Choices

The devotional book I'm reading this year, "Worship the King" by Chris Tiegreen, is a wonderful and challenging devotional.  One of the readings from this past week said, in part, "We worship the God who indwells mortal flesh . . . those who carelessly degrade His temple are being careless about their worship.  Praising God with physical mouths and then treating our bodies with little concern for our health or morality is a gross contradiction . . . consider your earthen vessel sacred." 

My first thought when I read this was "ouch!"  The Bible talks about taking care of our bodies and I have long understood, in theory, that everything I say and do should honor God, but for years I didn't really think about whether or not my food choices honored Him or not.  In reality, I know that I didn't want to think about it because I wanted to do - and eat - whatever I wanted without accountability.  

As I head out the door to church in a little while, I realize that my worship doesn't begin when I walk through the door of the church, or when the music starts to play.  My worship begins today, and every day, with the choices I make - what I do, how I spend my time, and even what I eat and how I take care of my body.  To the best of my ability, and with God's help, I want to honor Him with my choices today. Keeping that in mind will help me to choose wisely :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment