Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sowing Seeds

I have a quote posted next to my computer that says, "What I am today reflects the choices I made yesterday; what I will be tomorrow will reflect the choices I make today.  Today's choices are tomorrow's fruits."  I have it posted there as a reminder that every day I am sowing seeds, whether I like it or not.  Every day I am watering the seeds I planted (and sometimes I'm throwing a bit of fertilizer on them as well).

The reality is that tomorrow will very much be a reflection of what we've done today.  If we're planting green bean seeds today, we can't expect tomatoes to sprout tomorrow :-).  If we make the decision to cheat "just today", we can't expect to be down a pound and drop a size tomorrow - it just won't happen!

Day by day, we are sowing habits that will produce fruit tomorrow, and the day after that.  If we've been sowing unhealthy eating habits for years (and I think that probably applies to almost everybody here, including me), developing new, healthy habits is hard work.  The planting of these new seeds will not be easy - the sun will be hot, your back may ache, and you will probably get some dirt under your fingernails.   Staying on plan, especially in the beginning, is not easy.  Staying on plan becomes easier the longer we do it, because new habits are being developed and new, healthy plants will begin to sprout. 

So maybe this is a day of planting those first seeds for you, or maybe you're getting into the groove and only need to do a little weeding around those tender plants.  Wherever you are on this journey, today is all you have - all any of us have.

What are you going to plant today?   The choice is yours . . . choose wisely :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment