Saturday, December 19, 2009

An Early Christmas Present

With less than a week until Christmas, I received an early Christmas present late yesterday afternoon. It wasn't anything that was on my list, but it was a wonderful gift! To make it even more special, this gift is truly priceless.

My husband and I met with our life insurance agent yesterday afternoon. Our policies were up for renewal, so we had to have mini-physicals in late October. We hadn't heard anything more about either the physicals or the policy renewal in over a month, and I had honestly pretty much forgotten about it. Our agent called a couple of days ago to let us know that our updated policies were ready, so we arranged to meet at a local coffee shop to sign the new policies.

To my delight, the agent told me that my new policy is at the lowest rate possible for a woman my age! I am in such great health that the insurance company is gambling that I'm going to live for a very long time :-). What makes this so incredibly special - priceless, in fact - is that this is another example of just how much my life (and my health) has improved since losing 126 pounds on Take Shape for Life/Medifast. Two and one-half years ago, I was 260 pounds, diabetic, and on several medications. I know that if nothing had changed, it would have been much more difficult - and definitely more expensive - to have secured life insurance today.

Wearing small sizes is fun (LOTS of fun, in fact!), and feeling pretty good about how I look today is also wonderful, but nothing is as fabulous as being healthy, truly healthy. And I AM healthy, and I have both the lab work and the life insurance policy to prove it :-).

I am so happy to know that my life insurance policy is betting that I'm going to be around a long time yet, hopefully and prayerfully long enough to play with my great-grandchildren (maybe even THEIR children!).

As you know, there are days when I get tired of making healthy choices and grow weary of the thought of having to make healthy choices for the rest of my life. However, when I think about what food would be worth returning to where I was, or what I could eat that would be worth missing out on time with my family, I can't think of anything!

Taking a long view makes the choices I have to make every day a lot easier. I hope the same is true for you, too! Everyday, including today, you will have the opportunity to make choices that will ultimately impact tomorrow. Choose wisely :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment