Saturday, December 12, 2009

It's a Memory-Making Day

Happy Saturday!  Today is a special day for my daughters, my two oldest granddaughters and me, as we will be going to lunch together and then attending "The Nutcracker" ballet this afternoon. 

This is a tradition I started with my daughters when they were young and we've gone to "The Nutcracker" almost every December since.  It's a real joy to now be sharing this fun tradition with my two oldest granddaughters (6-1/2 and almost 5), and I look forward to having my youngest two grandchildren joining us next year when they're 4.  After the ballet, the children take part in the "Sugar Plum Parade," where they are able to go back stage to see the set and meet the dancers (and have their picture taken with the Nutcracker and the Sugar Plum Fairy).  Before heading home, we'll go out for dessert and coffee (hot cocoa for the children).  It will be a very full and very fun afternoon, and I hope we're making some memories they will treasure the rest of their lives.  If today is anything like last year, the little girls will be all dressed up and they will spend part of intermission twirling around, pretending to be ballerinas.  The restaurant where we'll have lunch, and later dessert, is at a lovely hotel that will be decorated to the hilt for Christmas, and we'll spend time walking around looking at all of the decorations, including a two-story Christmas tree.

My grandchildren were one of the reasons I was motivated to finally lose weight and get healthy.  Two and a half years ago, when I first started on Take Shape for Life/Medifast 5&1, my grandchildren were all tiny and I realized that I risked not watching them grow up if I didn't get healthy.  Between being diabetic and being morbidly obese, I knew I was heading to an early death.  I also knew that there was no way I would be able to be an active and fun grandmother at 260 pounds, and I didn't want the quality of my life compromised, especially when it came to enjoying my grandchildren.  As I contemplated the prospect of missing out on fun times with my grandchildren because of my obesity, food didn't seem quite so appealing anymore - my "why" was finally big enough to do what I needed to do.

We all have to find our "why", and it will be different for each of us.  What's important is that our "why" be big enough to get us through those tough on-plan days.  What is your dream?  What will reaching goal look like for you?  What will it mean for you?

For me, my "why" was being able to enjoy my grandchildren and be a part of their lives the whole time they're growing up.  Lord willing, that's what I'm going to do.  We're going to make some memories this afternoon, and I'm looking forward to making memories with them for many years to come.  There is nothing I could eat that would be worth missing out on these memories.

I'm choosing to be around and make memories with my grandchildren, which means I'm choosing to stay as healthy as I possibly can.  What choices will you make today for your own "why?"   Your choices will either support your "why" or they won't, so choose wisely :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment