Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Changing My Future

I got home from Chicago last night, just a little before 9 PM. It was a long couple of days, but it was good to see some of my extended family members. I was encouraged that several of them expressed real interest in getting more information about Take Shape for Life/Medifast. Nothing would thrill me more than seeing the scourge of obesity and diabetes finally stopped in my family. My mom has a 75 year old cousin who is on dialysis 3 times a week and in very poor health after years of being diabetic; her daughter is 47 and takes 5 shots of insulin every day and a host of other medications and has neuropathy in her hands and her feet; her 26 year old granddaughter (daughter of the 47 year old) wears 4X clothes and is pre-diabetic. And that's just one of the families.

There were a lot of things I didn't eat while I was on 5&1 and losing 126 pounds. There were days when I was sick to death of eating Medifast meals, and days when I just didn't want to do this anymore. There were days early on the program when I really doubted that it would even work. There were times when I felt very sorry for myself, or even angry at myself, because I had to be on this program.

As I spent time with my relatives over the past two days, I praise God that He not only led me to this program, but that I didn't allow any of the just-mentioned things stop me from staying on plan and getting to my goal. It was very sobering for me being with my relatives, because I was acutely aware of how close I came to being another family statistic - obese and diabetic. The genetics are there, there's no doubt about that. Had I not found this program when I did, today I would be 260 pounds or more, and I would definitely be diabetic and on medication and headed towards the complications that so many of my relatives are living with.

Thanks to Take Shape for Life/Medifast, I was able to change my health future. As long as I continue to make healthy choices, my future will NOT include diabetes, amputation, dialysis, and blindness. Making healthy choices means there are some foods I won't eat at all, or only eat on occasion; making healthy choices means I will incorporate regular exercise into my life, whether I feel like it or not :-); and making healthy choices means I will continue to eat 5-6 small meals a day, and 2-3 of those meals will be Medifast meals. Those aren't always the choices I WANT to make, but the alternative - obesity and diabetes - is unthinkable to me. My primary choice is health, so I will make the secondary choices I need to make to support what I really want. I think it's worth it!

Are you committed to your health - including getting to a healthy weight and staying there? Take it one day at a time and don't allow anything to get in your way - you'll never regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment