Sunday, September 6, 2009

Same Old Tastebuds, But a Whole New Attitude

It's going to be a busy Sunday for me. Today starts with church (of course!), then we're having two families over this afternoon for an early Labor Day cookout. Tonight I have to pack because I'm going to Chicago tomorrow morning with my parents for the visitation and funeral of one of my mom's cousins. The next couple of days will be filled with people to talk to and food minefields to avoid :-).

Avoiding food minefields has gotten easier (note that I said easier, not easy!) over the past few months. I've heard some people say that after they lost their weight, they also lost their taste for a lot of their old fattening foods, but I can't honestly say that. I still have a fat girl set of tastebuds, and I think I probably always will. Everything that tasted good to me before I lost weight still tastes good to me . . . sigh. It would be a lot easier if all of those things still didn't appeal to me, but they do.

Since I didn't get a new set of tastebuds when I lost weight, I've had to stay focused on what I really want, and I know beyond any shadow of a doubt that what I really want is to stay at a healthy weight and in my size 6's. I have the same old tastebuds, but I also have a whole new attitude about food and the role that I will allow to play in my life. Food is not my life anymore, and it is no longer the focal point of every get-together. I still enjoy eating, and I also enjoy cooking and baking, but my life doesn't revolve around it anymore.

These next couple of days will be precious times of getting together with dear friends and family members. There will be food - lots of food - but I've learned how to choose carefully and I am committed to staying focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment